From CS 294-10 Visualization Sp10
Lec 5 - Interaction
Visual information seeking: Tight coupling of dynamic query filters with starfield displays, Ahlberg & Shneiderman. (html)
- Reading about the HomeFinder I kept thinking "what, zillow?"
- The MovieFinder does sound cool, but also really hardcoded. i.e. you can search by actor, but only one at a time :\
- all of this seems to have missed search and fulltext indexing. Makes sense, because computers weren't that fast then.
- timebox - brilliant! timeline, but for scatterplot, and maintainig selections effectively as objects
- rest of it - hmm. Some concepts explained well, some not.
Postmortem of an example, Bertin (pdf)
The visual design and control of the trellis display. Becker, Cleveland and Shyu. (ps)
Table lens, Rao and Card, (acm)
Human guided search: Survey and recent results, Klau, Lesch, Marks & Mitzenmacher. (pdf)
Design and evaluation of incremental data structures and algorithms for dynamic query interfaces. Tanin, Beigel & Schneiderman (citeseer)
- installs as a .pkg and won't run otherwise, i'm against it; might work right from x?
- pretty cool! just a lot of querying though, nothing crazy I don't *think*
- absolutely clever, instantaneous makes the win. Encourages play.
- zoom function seems to arbitrarily bound.