GroupBrainstorm-Group: The A-Team
From CS 160 User Interfaces Sp10
- Lets skaters record and track tricks they can perform.
2) EZ Pass/FasTrak
- Enables phone to be used as a FasTrak device.
3) Dealership App
- Easily browse newly released cars and find the locations for dealerships.
4) Menu Generator
- Generates recopies and dishes based off of the food in the refrigerator.
5) RSF Scheduler
- Figure out the best time to go visit the gym.
Politically Conscious People
6) Voting Booths
- Allow voters to vote directly from the cell phone.
7) Real time vote counts
- Keep track of votes casted in real time during an election and display the US map on the phone.
8) Political leader profiles
- View all the profiles, stances, and histories of political candidates to make informed decisions.
9) New laws
- View the latest laws that have been passed.
10) iPhone Bluetooth Touch Mouse
- Use the touchscreen as a trackpad.
11) iPhone Webcam
- Use the phone as a webcam, and have video conversations with other iPhone owners.
12) iPhone Tablet
- Use the iPhone as a drawing input device.
13) Bluetooth Dongle
- Use the phone as a dongle to connect devices.
14) Remote Speaker
- Use the phone as a wireless speaker.
15) Voice Synthesizer
- Change your voice to sound like T-Pain or Batman.
16) Beat maker
- Create beats on the fly by mixing recorded beats and synthesized elements.
17) Baby frequency detector
- Learns what each of a baby's cry translates to.
18) Music equipment shopping guide
- Browse music specific equipments (such as guitars or headphones) with reviews from other owners.
- Look up hiking trails and upload new hiking trails to a repository for further use.
20) Rescue Transponder
- Sends out a frequency transmitter for help.
21) Stolen Phone Recovery
- Locate where the stolen phone is.
22) Closest Tennis/Basketball
- Analyze maps to find closest tennis/basketball courts.
23) Learn Boating
- Teaches you how to boat, includes compass and balance meter and how to set sails.
24) Fishing + Lure App
- Find what type of fish are around your location and what type of lure to use.
25) Dancing Steps
- Teaches you how to do specific dance movements by displaying steps.
26) Personal Speedometer
- Shows how fast you are currently traveling
27) Color Theory
- Pick a color or take a picture of a color and see what kind of other colors match with it.
28) Haircut Recognition
- Take a picture of a face and shows you how you look with different hairstyles.
29) Try on clothes
- Take a full body photo in a specific stance and allows you to try on different clothes by picking from a database.
30) Try on makeup
- Take a picture of a face and allows you to try on different makeup.
31) Fall fashion week updates
- App devoted to "Fall fashion week" which gives minute to minute updates on what's new during that week.
32) In style fashion trends/tips
- Displays the newest trends in fashion and what to where.
33) Personal Star Finder
- Put the iPhone to the sky and shows you the stars and constellations you can see from your location.
34) Meteor Shower Countdown
- Countdown for the next meteor shower and where to see it.
35) Eclipse Countdown
- Countdown for the next solar eclipse.
36) Parking Renewal
- Renews your parking meter without having to go to your car physically to do it.
37) Driving Instructor
- Teaches you how to drive while you're driving by giving instructions by voice.
38) Speed Limit
- Shows you what the speed limit currently is at your location.
39) Virtual Tours
- Allows you to download the virtual tours that often accompany museums without having to bother with headphones and a device. Shows interactive videos of the item you are looking at and it's history.
40) Remote Photo Booth
- Allows you to take multiple pictures in a short span of time and edit the photos to your liking afterwards.
41) Attraction Maps
- A repository of theme park maps which can be browsed and zoomed in on rather than having the typical paper maps.
42) Theme Park Ride Rating
- A repository of theme park rides which can be rated on by users and display pictures.
43) Theme Park Wait times
- A list of rides at a theme park and their current wait times which people can update as they wait.
44) Interactive Scavenger Hunt
- Users can participate in scavenger hunts with other people and take pictures to prove they have found certain items.
45) Mad Libs
- Users can play Mad Libs on the go.
46) Dungeons and Dragons App
- Shows rules for Dungeons and Dragons and has virtual d20 dice.
47) Doodle for World of Warcraft
- Allows users to coordinate times and in-game locations to meet up for raids and other events.
48) Launch Dates
- Shows launch dates for upcoming video games along with stores that will have the titles in stock on launch day.
49) Interview Preparer
- Helps a user improve his/her interview skills by asking interview questions and recording the user's response for later review.
50) Progress Bar
- Allows users to graphically show their progress on various projects.
51) Business Card Holder
- Stores business card information so the user does not have to carry around other people's business cards.
52) Name Reminder
- When a user forgets the name of someone they know, the user can take a picture and the app will identify that person.
53) Personal History Dates
- Stores the user's personal history, such as dates worked at a particular company.
54) Medical History
- Stores the user's medical history, including allergies and immunization records. EMTs can use this info to ensure the user gets the proper treatment in case of emergency.
55) Goal Finder
- Allows users to track progress on their goals.
56) New Year's Resolutions
- Reminds users to stick to their New Years' resolutions.
57) Stretch Adviser
- Shows users how to stretch before workouts or to minimize pain in certain areas.
58) Pressure Points/Reflexology
- Shows users which pressure points to press to alleviate pain in certain areas.
- Shows users where to insert needles in order to cure various ailments.
60) Personal Eye Doctor
- Helps users test their vision and determine if they need to make an optometry appointment.
61) Contact Lens Care
- Alerts the user when he or she should switch to a new pair of contact lenses.
62) Magnifier for elderly
- Use the iPhone's built-in camera as a magnifying glass for reading.
63) Hearing Aid
- Use the phone's mic and speaker to boost sounds and speech.
64) Medication Reminder
- Once programmed, an alarm automatically sounds daily with which specific pill to take for that day.
65) iPhone Jitterbug
- An app that completely overlays the iPhone, creating a simplified phone that is easy to use for children and the elderly.
66) Movie Scenes
- Gives the times of the most memorable or famous scenes of a movie.
67) Pop culture quotes
- Given a quote, tells the user what movie or book that famous line is first introduced.
- Defines uncommon or rarely heard idioms or phrases one comes across on occasions.
We selected the Skater App because we felt that the particular user group could really take advantage of many of the mobile features of a phone. This application would eliminate a need for a video camera, a computer, and a need to search skater tricks online. This group is also well defined and easily accessible for interview purposes. Finally, this application seems feasible while remaining rich and open to many interesting user interface decisions.
Target User Group
The application is targeted at skaters who want to develop their skills, and want to be able to connect with other enthusiasts around the area. A typical target user would frequently visit skate parks, watch a lot of skating footage, and would enjoy being competitive with friends. This application will appeal to people who want to discover new places to skate. Skaters are a good group to target because it is a demographic that is likely to have access to iPods and iPhones.
Skaters currently have no systematic way to receive feedback on their stunts. With this application, users will be given benchmarks to quantify their skill level. By doing this, they can set goals and ultimately become better skaters. In addition, there is no streamlined solution to cataloging and publishing amateur skateboarding videos. This application will help organize a personal collection of videos, but also allow the possibility to go online and connect to other videos in the community. Many skateboarding feats have probably gone unrecorded, and will never be seen. This application will help encourage skaters to record videos more frequently, so that everyone can enjoy the stunts.
This application can help encourage skaters to improve their techniques. They can track their accomplishments and be motivated by the satisfaction of crossing tricks off of the checklist. Having videos tied to the accomplishments can also give a source for peers to critique technique, and further help skaters improve.
To upload a video, a skater could use the Youtube application, but since there is no location based tagging on Youtube, others in the community would not be able to see the video. This application will allow the user to organize their videos, and automatically tag the video correctly based on location. With correct tagging, the user can easily accomplish actions such as viewing other tricks that were performed in the same area.
There are many tutorials for doing tricks online, but it would be impractical to bring a computer to a skate park. A mobile device that is capable of displaying videos is a much more apt device to use for tutorials because it can be used close to where the practice attempts are performed. Currently, there are many applications that give skating tutorials, but many are simply a collection of videos. By allowing users to view tutorials from locals, this application will allow users to follow these tutorials in a more engaging way.
Lastly, skaters are constantly looking for new skate locations. With this application, all users can geotag their favorite places to skate, letting everyone else know where a good place to do a certain trick is. Currently, there are only well defined skate parks that people could easily look up. Some skaters enjoy skating in unconventional locations though, and this will help those skaters pinpoint areas of interest.
The home screen will have the ability to create and select users. This can be useful if multiple friends want to compete in gaining achievements, but only one person has an iPhone or iPod Touch. The explore function lets users browse through any recently uploaded videos, or videos from around the area. The maps in the explore function will display markers where users have recorded videos, allowing others to see generally where good skating areas are, as well as specific videos of tricks that can be done in that particular area. The trick collection is the area where the user will catalog his or her skills.